Thursday, February 04, 2016

 

The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage



Many children’s tales have as their crucial element somebody inheriting a fortune from some distant uncle; it seems like a more virtuous version of winning the lottery. Suddenly all one’s financial troubles are over and one can fulfill one’s material dreams, such as buying a Porsche, going on a cruise, or building a villa on the coast of Florida. But if you ever actually found yourself a designated heir you know that in reality inheritances are a lot more complicated: wills are rarely unequivocal, so you find yourself arguing with lawyers, or worse, with siblings. The tax man and other legal entities make sure it takes forever for you to finally get your portion of the pie; and many times the inheritance has some strings attached. I found myself once inheriting a house which,  while beautiful, was in a very distant location and required significant upkeep; another time a lawyer informed me that  with the money and property that  were mine by right also  came also a yet unsettled lawsuit,  and  thus potentially a huge lawyers’ bill. In other words whenever you inherit things become, to quote  Facebook, complicated.

I recently attended a Legacy conference, a meeting of young professional Christians from around the USA: the title was inspired by the conviction that this generation has received a lot from the Lord and from previous generations and it was theirs to figure out what to do with that legacy. As I pondered the metaphor I realized that spiritual inheritances are almost invariably just as complicated as material bequests. The choice whether or not you accept the inheritance is tricky: it often sort of lands in your lap, and refusing it is often a huge deal. Most legacies, while making you richer in some ways, also require maintenance, upkeep, in other words, cost. And there is always a fly in the ointment, i.e. something you would as soon not receive as part of the package.

Allow me to give a couple of examples. I was born Austrian and on the whole, I am very grateful, even proud, of my nationality. But it does not take a genius to know that parts of my history are very checkered and I’d just as soon not count them as part of my national patrimony. I am also a European and gladly so. Recent events have shaken that continent’s confidence in the political project of the European Union. What people are beginning to realize is that the dream of Robert Schuman and others requires nurturing and tending, otherwise the very basis of it will get eroded: many of us who have enjoyed the benefits of the EU have forgotten that the basis of it is an understanding of the Judeo-Christian roots of our countries. It will require some hard choices by politicians and ordinary citizens to take care of our legacy.  Finally I am also Catholic and am very convinced of that choice; both distant and recent history of my church contains events which are shameful and which I just as soon not acknowledge. But they are part of my history, and I need to stand by them too.


So what is your inheritance? What have your parents, your forebears, your spiritual fathers, left in your cradle? What of it is rich, enjoyable and something to be proud of and what is less of a gift and more of a liability? And what responsibilities come with the gift, be it for maintenance, upkeep or sharing? Psalm 16 is the prayer of somebody who is embracing his inheritance and who boldly acknowledges what he has received. Consider  praying this Psalm…

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?